Monmouth and District Angling Society Rules as amended and agreed at the AGM November 2019
Rules 1 to 29 are constitutional rules and may be available to you upon individual request.
- All members shall be in possession of a current Environment Agency License and shall carry the same with their membership card at all times for presentation when requested by another member or an appointed bailiff.
Any person fishing on the Society’s waters who cannot produce a membership card shall be asked to leave the water.
- No member shall fish with more than TWO rods at a time on Society rivers, nor use any hand line or net, other than a bona fide landing net. Rods should not be left unattended in such a manner as to leave a hook in the water.
Members fishing Treowen pools are restricted to single rod only at any one time.
- Whilst fishing Society waters, all fish captured shall be carefully handled and returned safely as soon as possible to the water. Any breach of this rule shall be deemed a Gross Breach of Conduct under Rule 23. Barbless hooks only shall be used, and unhooking mats where appropriate.
- Baits permitted on waters controlled by the Society shall be those permitted by the National Resources Wales bylaws except that:
a) Live bait fishing is prohibited on all Society waters. Dead baits shall be frozen fish purchased for that purpose from a dealer, or sea fish. Spinners or artificial lures shall be 5” (125 mms) or more in length and shall be used in conjunction with a wire trace.
Smaller spinners or lures without a wire trace are permitted on the lakes at Treowen when fishing for Perch.
b) Maggots, casters or any other aquatic grub, larvae or pupae shall be prohibited on the River Troddi.
c) On waters that have been designated as ‘Fly Only’ under rule 37, fishing during the designated season shall be with artificial flies only, dressed on hook sizes no larger than No 8 long shank, The maximum number of flies cast at any one time is three.
- Except for fishing on the river Wye ground baiting shall be restricted to loose feeding of hook bait samples only.
The use of feeders and bait droppers shall be permitted on the River Wye only.No pre-baiting of any swims shall be permitted.
- No vehicles shall be allowed on the banks of any waters controlled by the Society except for the purposes of fishery management activities authorized by the committee.
Any member fishing on the Society waters shall be allowed to fish one hour before sunrise to one hour after sunset. Night fishing, camping overnight and fires are not permitted.
- When fishing Society waters, members and day visitors must not carry with them nor have in their possession, firearms, shot guns, air-powered weapons, crossbows or similar weapons.
- The committee shall have the power to designate any water controlled by the Society as ‘Fly Only’. Such a designation shall be for the whole or part of the season open for trout fishing. Details of any waters that have a differing designation from the preceding season shall be published on our website or by email if possible.
- Keep nets are not permitted on any of the Society’s waters.
- Any portable music device must only be used with earphones whilst engaged in angling activities on Society waters.
- The leaving of any litter, line or shot on the banks of waters controlled by the Society shall be deemed a gross breach of rules and may be dealt with under rule 23.
- Members must not construct new steps or access platforms, nor cut down any trees on the riverbanks without the express permission of the committee and the landlord concerned.
- Whilst any member is free to publish any catches made on Society waters the disclosure of the exact location is discouraged.
- Fishing access to Treowen Pools is restricted to season ticket holders only. Day members are not permitted to fish.
- The maximum number of anglers permitted to fish any of the three pools at Treowen at any one time is limited to 4. A single rod limit applies on both the large and small pools. Two rods are permitted on the Carp Pool known as the Brick Kiln pool. Seasonal or other changes to this ruling will be notified to members both at the pools and via the website.
- Anglers fishing at Treowen Pools shall use tackle of a strength and type appropriate to the species of fish being caught to ensure the wellbeing of the fish and to minimize any subsequent damage or injury.
- Members fishing at Treowen Pools shall use the designated parking area and clearly display a parking permit. Permits are available on request from the honorary secretary and officers of the society.
- If at any time the Environment Agency or National Resources Wales issue any rules that may appear to contradict the rules of the Society, the Environment agency and National Resources Wales bye-laws shall be deemed to apply and the rules of the Society shall be amended at the first opportunity thereafter. (Excluding rule 31.)
Reviewed and authorized by:
P Hunt (Chairman)
P Brundret (Hon. Sec)
Dated: 18 October 2019